The Academic Success Center is open:
Monday -Thursday: 9 a.m.- 6 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.- 3 p.m.
The current schedule of tutor availability:
English/Writing: Mon 2-5 p.m., Tue 12-6 p.m., Wed 2-6 p.m., and Thurs 12-6 p.m.
Math: Mon, 1-6 p.m., Tue 2-6 p.m., and Thurs 1-6 p.m.
Academic Success Center
The Writing and Tutoring lab (WATL) is the heart of the Academic Success Center. The space is designed to be a welcoming, quiet space for students to study or work one-on-one with a tutor. The room has café-style tables to comfortably seat one to two people, which helps better facilitate conversations about the students’ work. There are three computers for student use in the lab so they can work on a writing assignment or research with the aid of a nearby tutor. One corner of the room provides comfortable seating that is a good spot for reading. We offer a number of handouts ranging from helpful tips on writing and how to choose and research a topic to developing study skills, such as time management and engaged reading. The Coordinator for Academic Student Services and Retention, Ashley Pollock, oversees the Academic Success Center and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A few things to know about the lab’s tutoring resources:
- Students can drop-in to the lab at any of the above times to meet with a tutor.
- Drop in appointments are on a first come, first serve basis.
- Students can also make a same-day appointment to meet with a tutor later that day.
- Students can contact the lab at 618-239-6077 or BVLWritingLab@lindenwood.edu.
- We ask that students bring their assignment/rubric with them to meet with a tutor. That enables our tutors to help students assess if the students have met the goals of the assignment or project.
- We are able to help students at any stage of the writing process, from ideas on a topic, envisioning, and tackling a research approach, to editing the paper during the draft stages.
- Writing tutors are here to give students feedback on their writing in a 20-30 minute interactive conversation.
- We can help students with the documentation process and understanding format as well as assessing the cogency of their overall argument and developing their writing style.
- We work with students to bring out their voice within their work and help find which areas may need to be polished.
- We strive to emphasize that an additional set of eyes on one’s work is always helpful.
- We offer assistance with all levels of math. Starting in fall 2012, we will have three math tutors, each skilled in statistics.
- We are able to help students work through problem sets that may be similar to those they have been assigned as homework in order to explain how to reach the answer.
- Our tutors are adept at explaining concepts with varying approaches to help students learn the process in a way that speaks to various learning styles.
- Working with someone who loves math and has a passion for helping others learn can be a great asset to students and that is one of our main objectives.